Remember when our girls had whooping cough?
Bearhands and I slept on the floors in their bedrooms for a month, so we could rub their backs and offer them little sips of water during their terrifying coughing fits.
Well, I just found a little note I wrote one night lying on a single mattress, unable to go back to sleep after the Little Sister had suffered a particularly nasty bout.
I don’t remember writing it, but it’s a lovely insight into our girls at that age.
Finding that little note was like finding a little portal back to 2014.
Back when the girls looked like this….
…when getting them both to look in the same direction for a photo was almost impossible…
… and the Little Sister frequently looked like this.
things I learned about my daughters from sleeping on their floor for a month
- they fart in their sleep
- they have nightmares about the other one getting the pink bowl, cup, drink bottle, <<insert other household items here and repeat>>
- they teeter terrifyingly close to the edge of their beds, but rarely fall out*
- they’re old enough to have morning breath, but
- their sweat still smells like sunshine and rainbows
- like little monsters, they sprout sharp toenails at night
- they kick like mules and swim like Tony Abbott on QandA**
It seems a long time ago – the laundry basket will attest that their sweat hasn’t smelled like rainbows for a good long while.
But I remember them like that.
ever get a little glimpse into the past?
*They still occasionally fall out of bed
*Tony’s not longer the PM but the squirming persists