Ever find yourself smiling as you type? It's happening to me at the moment. I wrote this recipe for Flossie last year, but it will be new to most of you. I spent a long while today wondering what I should write to accompany it. Tonight I decided on a list of things that make me happy.
things that make me happy
- tickling my kids until they start laughing before I even touch them.
- experimenting with a dish and nailing it the first time (extra points if I remember to write it down as I go!)
- cooking for friends: there's not many eating-out options around here, so there's lots of dining in.
- floating in the ocean.
- surprises: I don't want to know what I'm getting for Christmas and I certainly didn't want to know the gender of my babies until they hatched!
- finding the perfect gift for someone.
- clean sheets (extra points if you're super tired.)
This edamame salad makes me happy too. Frozen, shelled edamame is easy to get hold of nowadays. Try it and break out of your salad rut.
- 2 cobs corn
- 2 cups shelled edamame (You can buy shelled edamame in the freezer section of Asian food stalls and some supermarkets).
- 3 golden shallots, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
Line a baking tray with alfoil and toss the corn, edamame, shallots, garlic and olive oil together. Season with a good grind of salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes or until the edamame begins to brown. Remove from the oven, transfer to a plate and place in the refrigerator to cool.